We love this super easy-to-make Spicy Curry Cauliflower “Wings” by Minimalist Baker . The cauliflower (the “wing”) is coated with a brown-rice- (or chickpea flower-) based batter seasoned with curry powder and tandoori masala spice blend. The result is mind-blowing!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 3/4 cup (120 g) brown rice flour or chickpea flour*
- Healthy pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp tandoori masala spice (see notes for DIY blend + where to buy)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened plain almond or rice milk
- 6-8 Tbsp (90-120 ml) water
- 1 head cauliflower, large stalks removed, cut/torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup (80 g) red curry paste (ensure vegan friendly – Thai True + Thai Kitchen are best)
- 2 tsp melted coconut oil
- 2-3 tsp maple syrup (to taste)
- Water to thin (2-3 Tbsp or 30-45 ml)
- Preheat oven to 450F (232C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent cooked “wings” from sticking to the surface.
- To prepare the batter:
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Then add almond milk and 6 tbsp water. Stir with a whisk or fork until well combined.
- The batter should be thick but pourable so it can adhere to the cauliflower. Add enough water to reach the right consistency. Add more rice flour if it becomes too thin.
- Once the oven is preheated, add the cauliflower to the batter to coat. Place the coated cauliflower on the baking sheet. Give each piece enough room to avoid sogginess.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce: whisk together the curry paste, coconut oil, and maple syrup, and add just a bit of water to thin so it resembles a glaze consistency.
- Once the cauliflower has finished baking, remove from the oven and dip/toss in the glaze 1-2 pieces at a time. Shake off excess, then place back on baking sheet and bake for another 20 – 25 minutes, or until browned on the edges and the glaze has caramelized.
- Let cauliflower cool slightly and then serve immediately.
- The “wings” can be frozen and then reheated in 350F (176C) oven until warmed through.
- Bon appétit!